[humanser] what is Realistic?

Marion Gwizdala marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Fri Apr 25 14:24:26 UTC 2014

Jessica,
	Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself to the list.
Many of us have returned to school a little later in life than what is
traditional, whatever that means! (grin) I am certain you will find many
blind social workers on this list willing to share their experiences with
you, as well as some willing to mentor you and others.

	I would like to comment on a statement you made, hoping you will
take this in the spirit it is offered. Many professionals in the field will
share with you what they believe is "realistic". They may be very
well-meaning; however, I have usually found that their "realistic"
expectations are nothing more than limiting beliefs that keep us from
achieving our dreams. When we stretch our perceptions of what is possible,
we define a new reality for us as blind people. If you can perceive it, you
can achieve it! One of my favorite adages is, "Whether you think you can or
you think you can't, you're right!" Keep believing and keep achieving!

Marion Gwizdala