[humanser] Introduction.

JD Townsend 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 28 02:35:15 UTC 2014

Hi,

If we can find a good day/time I'd be glad to be interviewed.

-----Original Message-----
From: MissWings
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2014 12:18 AM
To: humanser at nfbnet.org
Subject: [humanser] Introduction.

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this list for a while, and have enjoyed reading
everyone's messages and input.  I've been to one of the phone
conference calls as well, and hope to attend more of them in future.

I thought I'd write a bit about myself, and also ask a favor, if
anyone might be willing.

My name is Jessica, and I'm a junior in college, having just switched
my major to social work, and am currently in my first semester of
studies away from home.  I've been officially accepted into the
social work program for the fall, so I'll be taking my second
semester of social work classes.  I'm in my early thirties, and
totally blind.  I'm hoping to eventually become a vocational
rehabilitation counselor, and thought that social work would be the
best major for me to pursue, as the school where I'm attending
doesn't have a major for VR counseling specifically.  I thought
social work would be a good secondary option, as I'll be dealing with
the public, and the skills obtained in social work classes I'm sure
will help me.

Now for my request, and hopefully it isn't off topic.  One of my
assignments this semester is to interview someone who has a social
work degree, but my problem is that I don't know any social workers,
as I haven't made any connections yet.  I was wondering if anyone on
the list has a degree, and is currently practicing anywhere, and if
they'd mind answering a few questions.  I also thought getting an
interview from a blindness perspective would be helpful, as I'd have
a better idea of realistic expectations and issues facing someone who
is blind.  It's only about four or five questions, and we could even
communicate via email, if that works easier.  Even if someone has a
degree, but isn't currently working anywhere, that should still work,
as my professor didn't specifically say the person being interviewed
had to be working.

Please respond off list if you're curious and want more information,
assuming anyone wouldn't mind helping, as I don't want to clutter up
the list.  My email is
miss
wings at lorettotel.net

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you better
as I spend more time on the list.

Jess