[humanser] Human Services: GRE & JAWS

Dr. Mary Chappell mtc5 at cox.net
Mon Dec 8 05:35:24 UTC 2014

Car,
I am often concerned by some of our eagerness to be identified as separate
strings (I am blind and, therefore different) rather than looking at the
beautiful tapestry that may be woven through coming together. So many of us
choose to pigeonhole ourselves as if the little bubble that blind
individuals, mental health professionals, or redheads find ourselves in is
the expanse of the world. There are many, many opportunities that flow
beyond the confined world we may choose to live in. Yes, I am often scared,
and yes there is much misunderstanding but, if I never move beyond the
barriers I set for myself, I will not experience the opportunity nor, can
any outsider come to know me and my capacities.
So, yes, I believe that the breadth of helping professionals are more alike
than different and those who are seeking to understand the "beyond" may do
so by allowing access.
Incidentally, I work, full-time, in a teaching hospital. I am cortically
blind, am a psychologist, and as someone on this list noted, I do not have
to check any monitors, vital signs or otherwise. Those are tasks that are
designated to the nursing and tech staff. The greatest hinderance to those
of us who may be blind or have visual impairment in hospitals or medical
facilities is electronic medical records. The empowering aspect of
co-mingling with those from the medical perspective is a broadening of
understanding and awareness that strengthens my practice and, an
introduction to the aptitudes and capacities that I possess that might have
otherwise gone overlooked. I am the Supervisor of Psychotherapeutic Services
at my facility and am privy to many students and others who would not come
in contact with blindness. I definitely do not want to be a spokesperson
but, I do see this as an opportunity to share the richness of the mind and
all the other things we all need to know about.
Thus, the threads and strands are then woven to provide optimal care for
patients, students and practitioners.I think I may have shared more than you
needed to hear but, I am passionate about limiting the boundaries.
Genuinely,
Mary Tatum Chappell, Psy. D.