[humanser] ways we read

Sandy sandraburgess at msn.com
Wed Jan 22 23:41:35 UTC 2014

Car,

Yes, back in the day with low tech, I learned I could use magazine pages and
print notebooks.  I did use my slate and notebook for classes.  It seems I
went frim back of book to front to adjust with the slate, but not sure,  My
slate was Ez Read, so I could open it and on the left would be my Braille.
It has been some years since I played with these ideas.  When I had any
science type class, like biology, I took an adapted cassette recorder that
could do tone indexing.  I'd go home, listen, write in Braille what was
necessary, use the cassettes over.  The reason I did not write in that class
was some information was on the board and spoken faster than I could write,
and bio and science in general are not my strong areas, nor is math.

  Well, my last class experiences in my 50's, I used pac mate with Braille
display for notes, presentations, and computer for papers (no more electric
typewriter).  I somehow used second hand texts bought online and scanned
them, reading assignments with the PacMate Braille display.  The few audio
books I borrowed were hard for me to understand words.  I am hearing
impaired, but now I have a Stream and find words clearer, though readers
with accents can be difficult. Still have the social work texts.

-Sandy