[humanser] volunteers

Darla Rogers djrogers0628 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 05:06:28 UTC 2014

Dear Ericka,

	A former boss began with:  "I grew up in the 'hood."  The gist of
the whole meeting was that we weren't working hard enough; I usually make
friends easily and did so there, so I know a good number of my former
coworkers didn't grow up easy either--in  fact I saw a lot of compassion;
gentle pushing toward the possible, etc.
	I moved away from family over 40 years ago, so when I had to be
there three times in about as many months to help my sister with my mother,
various family members didn't quite know how to act around me, but my late
sister, also blind, didn't leave until after she graduated high school in
1978, and she began public school in junior high; while I only did my last
two years of high school in public school.
	We have a lot of mental illness on my mother's side; Dad's family
seems to have had more alcoholism, though I don't know as much about some of
them but love the ones I do know probably a little more than Mom's side, as
a few of her family members put on airs even though I'm better-educated and
traveled more than most of them.
Darla