[humanser] Drivers license requirement for employment

Serena Cucco serena.c.cucco at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 02:16:11 UTC 2014

Hi Carley,

You and Ericka are talking about two different ideas.  I agree that
trying to act sighted during an interview when you clearly don't have
much useable vision isn't a great idea and won't get you a job.  On
the other hand, mentioning your blindness on your resume or an
application won't get you a job, either, cuz the potential interviewer
will likely make assumptions and not consider you for an interview.
The only exception is when you're applying for a job with a state
agency and an exam is required.  In general, those agencies know about
the ADA and often say so on their websites.  Seeing this on their
sites makes me feel a bit better.  When they ask if I'll need exam
accommodations, I of course say yes and indicate the ones I want.
Unfortunately, in NJ, for the Civil Service exam, the one I've had to
take for a couple of job opportunities, Braille isn't available.

Serena