[humanser] Questions

Serena Cucco serena.c.cucco at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 20:15:02 UTC 2014

Hi Amy,

I have my Masters degree in social work.  While Justin is right that
most jobs in the social services field require a Masters, some let you
substitute experience for the Masters degree.  It all depends on the
job.  Graduate school, at least, for social work, is a ton of work,
but certainly worth the effort .  An internship is required while
taking classes.  I'll admit, this was a bit challenging time
management wise.  I requested that my internship hours during the
school year be cut slightly, basically, one fewer day per week, in my
second year, because of time required to use readers for research
papers.  The school accepted my request and let me finish my
internship hours during the summer of that second year.  (I ended up
taking an extra semester of school, anyway, so my finishing my
internship in the summer didn't interfere with graduation.)  I know
many of us don't like to broadcast challenges like these in the NFB,
but I didn't want any issue with my grades, due to not asking for this
accommodation.  Of course, this aspect may or may not be relevant to
you.  The course curricula were quite enjoyable!

As for the driver's license, it's supposed to be required only if
driving is an essential function of the job, such as providing
transportation to clients.  Many employers are not aware of the law
about this or frankly have too many assumptions about blindness to
worry about the law.

Serena