[humanser] Clinical Counseling

JD Townsend 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Sat May 10 17:51:48 UTC 2014

Hello Robert,

The Human Services Division is a fine place to explore your career goals.
Many members of this division are psychotherapists, several are students,
like you, in or contemplating entry into a graduate program..

You asked 4 questions, my responses are below each.

The tools that mental health professionals use are increasingly
electronic-for example, I am currently participating in counseling myself,
and the intake interview and subsequent assessments were all done
electronically. Overall, I believe that this holds great promise for blind
counselors, but that doesn't mean the tools in their current state are
accessible. Does anyone have experience with computerized counseling
tools-testing, assessment, etc. and are they largely accessible? If not, are
their accessible alternatives? As a blind counselor, how have you managed
the task of administering psychological tests and assessments?

Interestingly psychotherapists are not commonly trained or involved in
psychological testing.  I do use several inventories, such as the Beck and
Hamilton Inventories to assess progress as well as some other tests, these I
most commonly have the patient mark and we review their responses.  For some
I will keep a copy on my braille note taker and ask & mark the responses.
If you are trained in projective tests, just mark the pictures in braille on
the back of the card and proceed with noting patient responses word for word
as usual.

The electronic medical records are an issue that this Division is currently
engaged in addressing on the national stage.  The NFB is asking that EMR
records be fully accessible in legislation to, hopefully, become policy in
2015.  Each of us is dealing with this issue individually at the present
time.  Some systems are fully accessible while others are far from
accessible.

2.        How do clients react to having a visually impaired counselor? Has
this impacted-whether positively or negatively-the way you interact with
clients? If so, explain, especially if you have experience working with
children in this setting.

I have been working as an outpatient psychotherapist for the past 12 years
in a large hospital.  Last week a 14 year-old asked me lots of questions:
do I wear loafers because I couldn't tie shoelaces?  Does my wife have to do
everything for me?  He has an anger management issue along with ADHD &
Autistic Spectrum Disorder.  An adult patient would be shy to ask, but I
invite these questions, always focusing on the patient needs.  For example
asking about my wife related to his ideas as a 14 year-old male with a
disability wondering if he might ever have a girlfriend.

3.       Do you believe that blindness affected your employment prospects in
this area?

Of course.  There is discrimination in every area that a blind person
enters.  The trick is not to be the blind job applicant, but being the best
qualified applicant for the job.  If you wear "blind guy" to an interview,
that is how you will be remembered.  My employers, like my patients, often
forget that I am blind.  Often patients attempt to show me pictures on their
smart phones, only to gasp in surprise that I cannot see.

4.       Is there anything else you'd like to mention about mental health
counseling and related fields-the coursework, internship, state and national
exams, or job itself?

Few careers are more rewarding to the soul and less rewarding to the pocket.

Feel free to further this discussion on this list.

JD Townsend LCSW
Helping the light dependent to see
Daytona Beach, Earth, Sol System