[humanser] Clinical Counseling

Serena Cucco serena.c.cucco at gmail.com
Sat May 10 18:25:52 UTC 2014

Hi Robert,

I have my Masters degree and license in social work and am currently
job hunting.  I'm interested in substance abuse, mental health, or
working with senior citizens.  Here are my four answers below:

1. I have not had any experience with the electronic records system
that J.D. mentioned.

2. At my internship at a partial care program for the mentally ill,
interestingly, none of the clients had any issue with my blindness.
In fact, many were quite interested.  One even said, if anyone decided
to mess with me, he'd kick their butts (keeping it clean for this
list) for me!

3. One time, I applied for an internship (before I went to grad
school) with a substance abuse program.  The reverend who ran the
program interviewed me and invited me to stay for the day to observe
the various groups there.  Then, I didn't hear back, so called to see
what was up.  His wife called me back, saying there was no space for
an intern.  Granted, the building was relatively small, but I suspect
the wife talked the reverend out of accepting me for the internship.
After I graduated, I had an interview at another partial care program.
 When the man saw me, he claimed the job required driving.  Driving
wasn't mentioned in the job ad!  I think he was lying through his
teeth!

4. As you might already know, social work school is quite demanding,
especially with the internship requirement.  If you've worked while in
school, you might not be as thrown by it.  The LSW exam isn't too bad,
as long as you study your butt off.

Serena