[humanser] questions about career paths

Kelsey Nicolay kelseynicolay1989 at gmail.com
Tue May 13 20:17:49 UTC 2014

Hello,
I know some of you are also on the Young professionals list, so I
apologize for the repeat post.  I am a recent college graduate
and am trying to find a job, but it's tough.  Therefore, in a few
years once I've worked an entry level job a while, I might go
back to school.  I was considering education, but I have heard
the job market in this field is not good.  This is why I am
considering a career in a health field.  Two career choices I am
considering are speech therapy and sports medicine.  This
includes fields such as athletic training, nutrition counseling,
and physical therapy as well as physical therapy assisting.  I've
been in contact with a blind person who earned her bachelor's
degree in speech pathology, but what about the sports medicine
fields? Could I, as a totally blind person, for instance,
practice physical therapy? I would think that that field is more
hands-on than speech therapy, is this true? I we think it would
be since you're assessing joint movement and such, but I don't
know too much about the sports medicine field.  Is there anyone
on this list who practices athletic training or physical therapy
who could share your experiences? I'm just trying to gather as
much information now as I can so I can make an informed decision
before applying to grad school a few years down the road.
If you like, please feel free to email me offlist to share your
experiences.
Thanks,
Kelsey Nicolay