[humanser] Thanks so very much

Renee Pavlus via humanser humanser at nfbnet.org
Wed May 14 20:22:28 UTC 2014

Hello Everyone:
Thanks so much for the feedback.I guess it isn't just me. First off,
please excuse the poor spelling. I am working on it, and of course, do
not send in major papers with out assistance because of it.
Having said this, I am pretty darn lucky. My graduate clinical program
at Argosy is fantastic. I did have a snag with one professor who
accused me of not being honest because I sent a few assignments to him
using the wrong email. He never received these, and accused me of
taking advantage of him and the program. He was a stuffed shirt, and
gave me a B minus for his course which I know I didn't deserve. This
was a memory issue, not a blindness issue. He was so upset about the
fact that I and my tootor emailed him assignments under a different
configuration of his name, instead of emailing the correct version of
his name I used his first name rather then a first innicial when
writing the email. I never received a message from Google telling me
that it hadn't gone through. Stupid, yes, but not as deceptive as he
thought I had been.
I think I may have located a internship position. I am not sure since
I mailed in my resume and haven't hurd from them yet. It looks
promising, however. Life Stone Center, a clinical practice where there
seems to be many qualified individuals. One of my school mates
interned there and seems to have been hired, so it is hopeful.
I agree with all of you, feeling out the blindness issues and making
sure we are on top of things is so very important. My program is
handeling my situation intelligently. They are making no excuses for
my blindness, but are encourageing and supportive. However, they are
asking me to make the professional connections myself, assuming that
this is kind of like getting a job.
I know a LCSW who is the director of a day mental health programat the
County mental health agency. He is blind and has been in the NFB for
many years. He won't supervise me because he says that the CMHC can't
license Medicare independently. I am not sure what his issues are,
however. I could use his help helping me to work out all the bugs of
the paper work, and to help me learn to identify non-visual issues
with clients. But, oh well.
I have and will continue to get good training in case note taking, and
the other technical kinds of things. I have the Practicum and two
internship classes which go along with my working hours which I must
complete. I am overall, very pleased with Argosy, accept for the issue
with the stupid professor.I am fifty-nine, have had Breast Cancer with
all of the chemo and radiation. Along with this is some ADD
symptomology. But I am manageing. I also have had to deal with a
clinical depression most of my adult life, I do take medication, and
have been in therapy in the past when necessary. Several years ago
after cancer I decided that I was going to complete my education. I am
glad I was offered the opportunity to do so. For I am extremely
blessed.
Its just the frustration of being honest, above board, but not
begging. If Life Stone Center works out it sounds like a good fit.
I haven't sent out my cover letter, yet. Within it I emphasize the
fact that after training I can offer many services to the agency. You
know, specializing in Disability therapy, working with elderly and
their families, and minorities. Also working with families of new
disabled infants and children,along with teens and adults adjusting to
losses of many types. So, through networking with agencies,
organizations who specialize in disability I know that there is a
need. I am more then willing to do the work to bring in clients.
I am also, in addition, learning some life techniques which life
coaching offers. I am going to see a life coach to help me get beyond
my own issues which may hold me back, rather then a therapist. Like
most of you, we have done the counseling thing. I need to not move
back, but to move forward. The life coach is so positive and
proactive.
I will keep you all in the loope. You know, perhaps it would be a good
thing to set up a talk line and meet once or twice a month on the
phone to connect and support each other. What do you all think about
this? It seems that many of us have relevant issues and concerns.
I am so glad I chose the mental health program I did. Argosy is
wonderful. There are sixteen campuses around the mid and western part
of the Country.
Support and encouragement ffrom individuals who know is so very
necessary and important. I do appreciate you all.Lets connect, visit,
and encourage.
God Bless
Renee