[humanser] Questions about practicum and documentation

Sandy via humanser humanser at nfbnet.org
Wed May 14 23:06:16 UTC 2014

Kaiti,

I like Ashley's idea of having a resident to help, or maybe one have various
residents at different sessions.  When I did teaching in elementary classes
in practicums, students took turns writing on the blackboard.  In doing
this, they would at times remind the writer to dot I's and/or cross T's.
one time, to learn the idea of parts of a story (caracters, plot, etc.) we
went around the room with each child contributing some of the story, the
story went on the board, I sat and Brailled as it grew.  In the evening I
would type up the part finished and make a copy of it for each child.  This
was the time I used students for help the most, and it worked well, gave
them a chance of accomplishment and of being trusted to complete a task.
Some of those kids learned Braille enough to label gifts they gave me for
Christmas.

Sandy