[humanser] Importance of Psychology in blindness especially first stages?

Gerardo Corripio via humanser humanser at nfbnet.org
Fri May 16 17:07:40 UTC 2014

  HI listers
I've got a topic derived from an experience I had recently at a local
blindness Association here in my area; appreciate your feedback:
Back in December, I was invited for a meeting of what was supposed to be
a blindness Association; excited that I might finally be able to do
something productive such as individual therapy and group therapy; note
i've never in my life done group therapy, but have notions, thus felt
and feel prepared to take on the challenge; my philosophyhas always been
that what a better way to help other blind people indirectly, than by
example, thus imagine my excitement that I'd finally be able to
participate in the Association by putting to work my Psychology self,
and by giving the message that blindness (and in my case hearing loss of
70%) shouldn't be obstacle to do what we want!
The weeks went by; I saw no plans to incorporate either group therapy,
or motivational talks or nothing related to Psychology, thus I asked and
the response? We're not considering implementing. OK I thought why the
heck would they excite me in the first place, and then say they aren't
including the Psychology area? OK so I continued to ask about it because
I'm not those who takes no for an answer easily, and I guess they got so
tired of me asking and bugging that they ended up saying that not to
worry, that they found a more qualified Psychologist! So my question is
it really important in a blindness Association, the Psychology
especially since they're people who recently, or are becoming blind? Am
I right in feeling so strongly of this?

--
Enviado desde mi lap
RompiendoBarreras espacio de psicología/Superación Personal Sábados 10PM México http://radiogeneral.com ¡los esperamos!