[humanser] a question or two

JD Townsend 43210 at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 5 00:10:34 UTC 2015

Hi Renee:

Many, many programs out there and few seem to be fully accessible out of the
box.  Most seem to require some scripting by folks who are professionals at
the task.  My hospital's electronic medical records are built within the
framework of a program named Meditech with various pieces of the program
having been built by a number of firms.  The script writer who is a
contractor with Blind Services could not get Jaws to read certain portions
of the screen and he has been programming Jaws for well over a decade.  He
has found that Window-Eyes can do what Jaws could not and has been learning
to script for that screen reader.

It all takes time, an intern does not have much of that.  So, my work-around
has been to create a form in MS Word quite simular to the actual document
and have support staff scan and enter this into the electronic medical
record.  Your idea of cut & paste into electronic records might work as
well.

The taping issue is a bit different.  You need only to start and end the
session, then save it.  This ought to be possible using Jaws, Window-Eyes or
MVDA.  Try them all and choose whichever works best.  MVDA has proven pretty
flexable and it is free.

I made simular suggestions to a blind intern in rehab medicine here a few
months ago.

JD