[humanser] Charting programs

Ginny Duff duffg at stjoe.on.ca
Sun Nov 1 15:00:52 UTC 2015

That is so exciting that you have been able to make it work.   There is no end of complaints about this program by sighted staff.  We've been using it for 1 1/2 yrs and people still hate it.  How do people feel about it at your hospital?

I only work at that hospital one day a week and so I stayed on the steep part of the learning curve for a long time.   I am able to work with it now - with a tiny tunnel of vision - and the colours inverted - but am worried what will happen as my vision deteriorates.   Its very time consuming and has probably resulted in me havng to stay an hour longer each day - than with the previous charting system.

I had a problem a couple of weeks ago with a prescription that was an unusual dose.  the system would not allow me to do it easilty.   I had to book an appointment with the IT person (the educator who is the expert in the system) and with her it took us 45 min to successfully put through this script - a task that previously would have taken 15 seconds to write by hand...   Absurd.

I would love to hear about the Virtual Vision for Scripting.   Are they local?

I was at a CNIB conference last week and met someone from a company called U-R-Able and has a program he calls ALT.   He tells me that he can set up the software so that if there is something that takes a bunch of steps, he can alter it so that it only takes one step.   There is a well known blind lawyer in Toronto who has used this and has found that it saved so much time that he is trying to get the sighted lawyers to use it.   It sounded so fantastic but the price tag was probably a bout $3,000...   Argghh!  I have to work on my case!

Ginny

Dr. V. Duff
Clinical Director, West End ACT Team,
St. Joseph's Heatlh Centre , Toronto
Staff Psychiatrist, Complex Mental Illness, CAMH
Lecturer, University of Toronto
Tel:   416.530.6000, ext 3101
FAX:   416.530.6363

Sent from my iPad