[humanser] APA has a Disability Mentoring Program

Sarah Meyer sarah.meyer55 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 02:59:42 UTC 2015

Good evening all,

I am extremely encouraged by this find and to know that the American
Psychological Association is working to promote inclusion and support
for psychologists with disabilities.

Here is an overview:
Individuals with disabilities are sorely underrepresented in graduate
psychology programs and careers. Few enter the field, and those who do
often experience frustration that may sometimes give way to higher
than average drop out rates for these students. One strategy shown to
increase the success of underrepresented groups in graduate school and
entering professions is a mentoring program. In light of the evidence
that mentoring has proven helpful to other underrepresented groups,
the Disability Issues in Psychology Office is pleased to announce its
Mentoring Program that supports psychology students with disabilities,
psychologists with disabilities who are entering the field, and
psychologists in the field who develop a disability.
Please note that matching with a mentor in the Disability Mentoring
Program is contingent on the number and availability of mentors
enrolled in our program.
http://www.apa.org/pi/disability/resources/mentoring/index.aspx

Visit the "About Our Mentoring Program" for more details.
I believe that mentors and mentees might need to be APA members but
I'm not sure of that.  Either way, I wanted to share in case there are
folks who would be interested in applying to be either a mentor or a
mentee next year.

All the best,

Sarah

--
Sarah K. Meyer
Graduate Student, Clinical Mental Health Counseling/Social Psychology
sarah.meyer55 at gmail.com
(317)402-6632

characteristic that defines you or your future. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back. Together with love,
hope, and determination, we transform dreams into reality.