[humanser] Internships?

Janice Toothman janice.toothman at verizon.net
Sun Sep 6 21:48:06 UTC 2015

Hi Christina,

First, let me tell you that I am Deaf-Blind.  My counseling program had
agencies that would take students from our University.  Our professors
informed us that we had to rank order our choices from 1st to 3rd.  I
had chosen my  three choices and submitted my requests in along with my
peers.  Unfortunately, I did not know that my professors had informed
the agencies that I am Deaf-Blind.  None of the agencies wanted me to
come and do my internship at their site.

She spoke to the director of Disability Support Services to see if she
had any recommendations for places.  The DSS Director did in fact
recommend the Arc Baltimore as an internship site.  My professor
contacted the Arc Baltimore and they were exstatic to have me.  I did
not warm up to the idea until I meet with my supervisor and found that
her attitudes towards disability and counseling were similar to mine.

I felt that God had a hand the selection of my internship site.  If I
did not go and work at the Arc Baltimore, the Staff members would not
have seen the need for a permanent counselor at that facility, because
it the members their were considered lower functioning than at another
site that had psychologists full-time.
I found it not only very rewarding but challenging as well.
Since I was not used to adults, whose vocabulary was at the elementary
grade school level.  However, this sparked my creativity as a therapist
to help them explore their emotions with whatever verbal skills they posses.

Have a Blessed Day
Janice