[humanser] Internships?

Merry Schoch merrys at verizon.net
Tue Sep 8 08:57:00 UTC 2015

Hi Christina,

I wish you the best in finding an internship placement.  My internship experience on the under graduate level was one I'm not too proud to share, but I will.  I had to search for my own internship since I was doing classes on-line and the university was in another city.  The degree was in criminal justice.  The part I am not real proud of is that I applied and interviewed for two; I was able to hide my blindness during the interviews.  I then had to make a choice between the two and I chose the Public Defender's office in my county.  The funny part of the story is that the person who trained me was blind as well; however, he would not admit it and  did dnot use a cane which, shamefully, I did not during that internship, but when I was a few blocks away from the building I pulled that cane out.

During  my graduate experience there was no way I would or could hide my blindness.    The field placement instructor offered a place she thought was reasonable for me to take my guide dog.  While waiting for the interview I was nervous since I knew I had to overcome the barriers of misconceptions of blindness.  Again, I was wrong.  My future field supervisor came in on a wheelchair.  Yay!  I immediately relaxed thinking she'd get it and she did!  Not only was she a person with a disability she also worked with a person who was blind while in college.  Lucky me!

It sounds to me like you are doing all the correct things to get this internship.  My advice would be hold your head up with confidence in your skills.  I wish I would have done that with my undergrad internship.

Please let us know how it goes for you!

With warm welcome to this list!Merry C. Schoch LCSW
Merry C. Schoch LCSW