[humanser] Do you know about these?

Lisa Irving peacefulwoman89 at cox.net
Thu Dec 15 06:58:17 UTC 2016

Cheryl, so glad to hear that you got interviewed if anything going to interview this is good experience. Talking to people on this list and polishing your skills before you go to the interview is also a good idea and great practice

Ashley my situation is a little different than yours because I am an employee and I do have more rights under the ADA and California disability law. That is not to minimize you or what you've been through in anyway. Earlier today I emailed a non-accessible form to our quality assurance person at headquarters. Assuming she is not playing me I hope that she can try to make progress to get this form fixed it just needs some edit field and combo boxes marked up. We have a phone meeting scheduled for this Friday morning; when I am off of work.

Ashley, I don't suppose the agency would let you create an XL sheet that you can use. I know this is kind of out there. I wonder if you could talk to their IT folks. Also I'm wondering if some closure would help you that is to schedule a meeting with your supervisor and discuss what worked and what didn't work and see what opportunities there are for you and if not ask her for two referrals to places that will give you new experience I must admit that I am quite disappointed with the organization I work for. I work in mental health. All of the stress that I've been under for the last seven months has taken it's toll. I took three weeks off primarily without pay. I don't want to be overly dramatic and I sure wish research would validate what I am going to say.

I do not think that rehabilitation counselors teachers therapists medical doctors and others get what happens to us when we experience decades of prejudice. The blind community; my people, are no different than other minority groups. We have been subjected to historical trauma micro aggression certainly subjects of pity and stereotyping. Some of the newer and more helpful thought in the mental health community centers around trauma informed therapy. Well, the supplies to my people; the blind community I am not self imposing a pity party or succumbing to a victim role. I am frustrated I am depressed I am overwhelmed I am worn down I am very aware the bottom line is the only one I can change is myself.

I do want to and this post on a positive note. Yes, it is also slightly snarky for at least the last four months I have been trying to work with my employer to remove a couple of lights from the area where I work my employer par for the course does what they want to do that is they asked me what I need and what would be helpful then they go ahead and do their own thing if I say anything then they play victim. Yesterday my secondary supervisor started playing the blame game that is she was trying to make me the problem I am fed up and sick of the nonsense it was very apparent that neither one of us felt heard or appreciated. I finally had to say I am done I am done talking to the director of human resources. What I couldn't say is I am done talking to her too. Imagine this? Within 10 minutes a maintenance person from facilities came up and removed two lights and the computer was placed under the darkened area well like I said four months and a bunch of emails persistence pays off and someways and again certainly this and the experiences throughout my life have taken their toll. Sometimes I feel like I'm alone and I know I'm not thank goodness for my friends on the human services listserv and the Federation from Lisa Irving

Sent from my iPhone