[humanser] Question regarding paperwork

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 7 01:45:35 UTC 2016

Rebecca,

You've come to a good place for information. I hope your job search goes
well and its great you made
it through your masters program. I'm also looking for work and one area of
interest is in human services and I also am interested in communications or
program coordination. Anyway, I'm on here to mostly learn.

But, I have encountered the very barrier you describe and have brainstormed
solutions.
Unfortunately, it seems like paperwork is a huge challenge.
I have a little central vision but mostly use auditory or braille methods.
I'm a jaws user like you.
I look forward to hearing other solutions. I'm actually interviewing for a
customer service job soon, and am real concerned that the park software may
not be screen reader friendly. So, I'll have to investigate this.

My first solution Is one you already tried. I would type my notes in Word or
other word processing program. Then, I'd have someone input the data in the
right software program.
I did that for a while when I had a volunteer information and referral
position. I think they got tired of inputting the data though as it made
extra work for them.

Other ideas are to use a reader to help you. How about a secretary working
there, if they even have one now a days.

Electronic solutions could include exporting the data from the records
software to excel and you typing it in that way, creating your own
accessible forms, using another screen reader to work with their software,
using another version of the software which is accessible, or having an IT
person script the software for jaws use. Oh, and it might be worth giving
Freedom scientific tech support a call and a call to the vendor of the
medical software in question. They need to be aware of the problems you are
having with their software.

If you work for a nonprofit, they more than likely have volunteers that I
would think could act as your reader/scribe for paperwork.
Do you have any vision? If so, perhaps magnification can be an option.

Sometimes other screen readers work better with software than jaws so that
is why I suggest that. Maybe try NVDA as its free.

I have not dealt with electronic medical records but certainly ran into many
inaccessible databases or semi accessible ones.
Raiser's edge comes to mind. Electronic record keeping is quite a challenge.

Sorry to hear about these problems. I wish you success finding employment.
With my BA in liberal studies, I've not had much success yet, but continue
to try.
Also, remember it’s the employer's job to work with you to find a solution.
Reasonable accomodations should be implemented, but  too often employers do
not do their part.
Oh, what does that E stand for? And, which type of counseling and population
do you seek to work with?

Good luck!

Ashley