[humanser] Job interviews

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 7 02:25:48 UTC 2016

Rebecca,

Good questions. I'd say to focus on your skills and abilities first.
I use a cane so my vision impairment is obvious.
I am self disclosing by walking with a cane.
I usually disclose before the interview though.

I'd say bring up accomodations as they relate to the job. For instance if
they ask how you  multi task or work on a collaborative document or do
research, explain you can do those task and mention jaws. Say its an
electronic software which reads the screen, a screen reader.
As I read, your  field is counseling. Counseling sessions are much about
listening and asking questions anyways.
So, it seems to me that the bulk of your job as a counselor requires no
accomodation. Not that I know much of the field, but I've known a few blind
counselors and been in counseling myself.
It seems to me that accomodations will arise when you need to complete
intakes and other forms related to your clients.
I've been in counseling some. My counselors wrote  a few notes in the
sessions, but primarily they listened.
It seems to me that whatever notetaking system you devised to work in
college  could work to write notes on your clients.
What are you having difficulty with? You already know jaws.

As for actually asking for accomodations, you don't really need to ask for
those in the interview. Certainly say how you do the job though as your
employer will wonder about that.
They can ask how you can perform the job but not about your disability. Hope
they don't ask illegal questions.

Good luck!
Ashley