[humanser] Three months ago I started a new job all employees are required to complete online on board training within 30 days; I have not

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 7 04:17:21 UTC 2016

Lisa,
I needed to shorten the subject, hope that was okay.

Wow, what a delima. Sorry to write so much today but I had time tonight and
had a lot of employment questions and concerns on my mind as I'm about to be
interviewed myself and have wondered how I'd integrate needing accomodations
while also selling myself to the employer coupled with the fact I don't know
if I will need scripting for the software and things like that.

Your situation struck a chord with me Lisa! I know how it is to be on a
deadline and not have things accessible and also have a place where people
are spread thin with no one to assist when you need them. I've be an intern
and volunteer and these situations have arisen.

When I did the security awareness training for being a tutor, another tutor
had to sit with me and read the screen to me. My supervisor arranged it so
they had no students to see so they would be free to help me.
Like you, my supervisor also helped me with some training such as the online
tests where she filled in my answers.
And just like your situation, the supervisor's schedule and mine often
conflicted. Oh, and the supervisor being too busy to assist you sounds very,
very familiar! I'm not blaming the supervisor, btw, I'm just stating the
facts. She did what she could to help but also had many duties.

Lisa, I hope things work out. Is there any way you can bring a reader into
work with you to complete training? Maybe a friend or look for a college
student who has flexibility In the day.

Here are ideas for other problems you brought up.

1. The  photocopier: some are touch screens and inaccessible. Others have
buttons. Can you label the buttons in braille or tactile marks? Since I
believe you have some vision, maybe a magnifier would work.

2. The hard copy resources in the mailbox:
again, I think a reader is the best solution and you can record the
information on a digital recorder.
Alternatively, an OCR speech program that scans and reads text may also
work. I personally like Openbook made by freedom scientific. If you are
permitted to use an iphone, the KNFB reader Ap might also work. Another
scanning solution is on the book reader made by Hims, its called the Blaze
EZ.

3. The hard copy forms: sounds like a reader whether it be your supervisor
or someone else will be needed.

That's too bad the supervisor said to only come to her. I've been at liberty
to ask coworkers for help if I need it, but I've not been employed full
time.

Lisa, I think all your accomodation issues are a very good example why its
so hard for blind people to find and maintain employment. Once we have jobs,
it may be difficult to keep them for the very reasons you articulated.

I'm afraid I cannot offer much advice. But just know you are not the only
one struggling to find or keep employment.

Ashley