[humanser] ADA Hyppa regulations and reader services

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 25 21:16:38 UTC 2016

Lisa,

I don't know  what the law says.
I'm not employed either in a sensative role like you are.
However, I know other blind therapists use readers. It was not long ago that
someone wrote in saying they used a reader 2 hours a week for paperwork and
anything they needed.

If I were in your shoes, I'd want a reader familiar with the type of work I
do such as a reader who is grad student studying whatever work I'm in or a
volunteer with that background.

Readers are definitely a reasonable accomodation.
Furthermore, it does not seem too reasonable for a supervisor to provide
accomodations; maybe sometimes, but on a constant basis, no.
I would not like this because they are supposed to be supervising me, not
assisting me in doing my job. In other words, if I were employed, I'd want
the roles separated.

I believe that if the perspective reader, paid or volunteer, takes
hyppa training and signs confidentiality statements and also abides by other
policies of the agency such as destroying confidential papers,
then such a reader should be permitted to assist you.
I cannot see the conflict if the reader is outside the organization as long
as they take hyppa training.

Hyppa requirements should not be an excuse to not provide accomodations.

Lisa,  I believe the barriers you are facing are why its hard for us to keep
and find jobs.
Having a supervisor or employee help you is not sustainable and if that
continues, I know what will happen. I hope you can get outside readers, and
get them fast.

I know supervisors are busy. I've been in situations when my intern
supervisor has had difficulty reading to me or filling out papers due to
their busy schedule. I know how that is. We did work out schedules, but it
was hard.

Good luck!

Ashley