[humanser] Question about Process of Disclosure of Blindness with minors

Merry Schoch merrys at verizon.net
Tue Mar 1 17:01:41 UTC 2016

Hi Sarah,

I disclose  with parent in room.  I first tell them I am blind and without
taking a breath, so they don't have much time to react, I let them know to
use words instead of knodding their head; then humorously I say if I have a
funny look on my face that is usually your clue to use your words.  After
that statement there is laughter and we move past the issue of blindness.
I find that kids usually don't have an issue asking questions if they are
curious.
Hope this helps.
Merry C. Schoch