[humanser] Question about Process of Disclosure of Blindness with minors

Carmella Broome cdbroome at att.net
Wed Mar 2 05:53:31 UTC 2016

I'm one of about 10 clinicians at a private group practice. I work with a lot of teenagers, as well as other types of clients. For me, its worked into the intro spheel I give at the beginning of intakes with all new clients.   Its in there with a bunch of other stuff.  I briefly mention that  my blindness is from birth, that Brooklyn is my third guide dog,  that I won't judge clients by appearance or  wave at them in public,  and joke that they can make all the faces they want at me and I won't notice or care.  Its in among stuff like that I'm from a small town so things don't need to be overly formal with me, where my degree is from, how long I've worked at Crossroads,  blah, blah.  Its obvious so I give  that basic info. I  also self disclose about it from time to time when trying to   make a point or to make the most of a teachable moment.   Clients integrate it as part of the big picture and  think having a dog in session and stuff that talks is cool. It works for me, shows that I'm comfortable, and  its just not a big deal for  me or them.

Carmella Broome EdS LPC LMFT