[humanser] Question about Process of Disclosure of Blindnesswith minors

Jonathan Franks jfranks at nfbtx.org
Tue Mar 1 23:23:18 UTC 2016

Hello all,
I definitely concur with what has been said. From my own personal
experience in my internship last semester, I would take an appropriate
amount of time briefly explaining my blindness and the best strategies
that would work with my interaction with my client. Whether it was if
they were shaking their head to instead utter a verbal response or if
I were to speak with them directly to keep a level of eye contact to
the best of my ability. I believe that ist is of the utmost importance
to maintain integrity and confidence and awareness when working with
clients of any ages. One of the biggest fears I have heard from other
human service professionals or those who are in training that are
blind is that their clients will not take them seriously. By showing
this level of integrity and professionalism, it will help erase this
misconception and especially with clients who are minors since I
believe that their generation is more accepting and impressionable.

Hope this helps

Jonathan Franks
Board Member
National Federation of the Blind of Texas