[humanser] about minority stress

JD Townsend 43210 at bellsouth.net
Tue May 24 19:59:11 UTC 2016

Hi,

An excellent question and one that I feel is long overdue.

There have been studies of the impact of blindness, many of these have been
small and rather discouraging.  The NFB as a whole has poo-pooed these.  The
NFB has felt that studies that identify blindness as an overwhelming
disability are flawed as by the application of the NFB philosophy can remove
many of these.  However, studies of the cultural impact of a society that
sees blindness as such a tradgidy have been the foundation of the NFB.

I would refer you to some of the speeches of Kennith Jernigan (mis-spelled)
such as "Blindness, Is Literature Against Us" as an example.  You can find
this through the NFB website.