[humanser] Intro and a few questions

Merry Schoch merrys at verizon.net
Mon Sep 19 16:33:13 UTC 2016

Dear Danielle,

Welcome to our list!  As you have notice there are many different
perspectives on the topic of wearing glasses.  Currenntly, I wear glasses
that serve as a replacement for the missing lens in one of my eyes.  The
high magnification causes my eyes to appear quite large.  I have gone back
and forth with myself whether to wear the glasses especially around children
I serve.  My experience has been that the majority of children ask about why
my eyes are so large and then we move past this topic.  Some younger
children, toddlers, may be frightened at first but usually after they get to
know me and play in my playroom they are fine.

My glasses are a benefit to me for reading with my CCTV. Several years ago,
I had an injury which resulted in the globe of my eye being ruptured, since
the injury I have been a bit hypervigilent about protecting my eyes. This is
another reason I wear my glasses all the time.  I appreciate you reaching
out to our list to give you our different perspectives.

Again, welcome to the list and hope to be hearing more from you.

Warmly,
Merry C. Schoch, LCSW
National Federation of the Blind
Human Services Division.