[humanser] verbal techniques and reading affect

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 02:04:17 UTC 2016

Hi Ericka,

Yes-the space in and of itself is definitely a challenge.  I was
rather spoiled last semester with children in a classroom setting
because we had quite a large area to move around in for large motor
experiences.  I don't know where internships might take me, but I
don't think I'll continue to work in psych much after my schooling is
finished.  I've been pleasantly surprised so far in how much I like
working with this population and the specific factors involved in the
treatment, but my target populations are children either in a school
setting or hospitalized children who most often will be in a bed with
me playing bedside.  Still, I appreciate any other suggestions that
might come up on this thread, as counseling skills will come in handy
regardless of where I find myself working professionally.

On 9/25/16, Ericka via HumanSer <humanser at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Sounds like you're doing all you can in the small room you have. If you
> really enjoy this setting, maybe you'll be lucky enough to work in a place
> with more space next time.
>
> Ericka Short
> 1750 Fordem Ave. #508
> Madison. WI. 53704
> 608-665-3170
>
>  from my iPhone 6s
>
>> On Sep 25, 2016, at 7:07 PM, Kaiti Shelton via HumanSer
>> <humanser at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ericka and Rebecca,
>>
>> That probably would make them nervous or distract them.  The room we
>> are working in unfortunately doesn't have a lot of extra space, so in
>> order to walk around I'd have to walk around the inside of the circle
>> of chairs (they're lined up pretty much against the walls), and we
>> often move drums and other equipment to the center of the circle when
>> we're not using us in order to give us some physical space.  We
>> prepare and pass out lyric sheets when we plan for a particular song
>> to be discussed, but when the clients request songs to communicate a
>> part of their story to the group we don't even have words for them to
>> focus on.  I have been able to do this in other group settings,
>> though; I had a rolling stool I used when working with older adults so
>> I could play and see their faces when close at eye level, and I found
>> that helpful.
>>
>> Rebecca, I like your idea of throwing emotions out there.  Perhaps I
>> already am doing a version of this by repeating a particular line from
>> the song and asking the clients what they interpreted it to mean.  I
>> sometimes say what I think of it first and then see how their
>> songs this is even easier as I put the lyric sheet on my BrailleSense
>> and can follow along with the clients as the music plays.  I also now
>> have a general idea of how some of the clients react to different
>> types of song material, but I am also careful not to assume anything
>> hard and fast about their reactions as that isn't fair to them, and I
>> also am mindful of all the other things going on in their treatment.
>> The only bummer is that we don't have many sessions with them as
>> they're only in a 28 day program, and we only have practicum twice a
>> week.
>>
>>> On 9/25/16, Ericka via HumanSer <humanser at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>> Is it permissible to walk about the room together more not a verbal
>>> information or would that make the people nervous while the music is
>>> playing?
>>>
>>> Ericka Short
>>> 1750 Fordem Ave. #508
>>> Madison. WI. 53704