[humanser] Disabilities Story

Carly Mihalakis carlymih at comcast.net
Wed Dec 20 20:21:51 UTC 2017

Good morning, JD,

Perhaps, my having had bilateral blastoma as a toddler, for as long
as I can remember, has rendered me drawn to every situation's deviant
presence.Remember, in sociological terms,  deviance merely refers to
he who fills the non-normative role and is present where ever human
animals congregate. I like to say, if someone farts in an elevator,
he is that collectivity's social deviant. Like deviants of
yesteryear, it is a strong connection, consisting of mutual respect
that solidify's bonds between deviants. This verity has become so
much more naked to me  since hazarding upon a mysterious convirgence
between people living without a baseline like ocular vision and folk
living beyond 4-walled structures, homeless people. I found it
particularly striking that, whenever I am hanging out with my
friends, there seems to be an unnamed and  unspoken but nevertheless
palpable   sense of knowing and mutual understanding regarding the
way we live. So what is this mysterious knowing all about? Much of it
probably involves the fact that due to my roommate and my spinning
schedule (most mornings) it requires that we occupy similar
facilities I.E. bus stops and the local streets. Also, amongst
house-less cultures it is a come-as-you-are  kind of scene, so none
of that justifying your personal right as a blind person just to
exist. Mostly, people don't ask, and for the most part don't want to
know your past. we are also brought together by Mary Jane, the woman
who brings light to the sight-less and a sense of place to the
house-less, so our paths cross in many ways namely, living despite
being yoked to a debilitating stigma, you know, where nothing you can
ever do in your life alters what society as a whole or an individual
will ever validate. House-lessfolk are the urban area's gardian
angels, too, that is, they are forever survailing the area with
nothing but unaccounted time. From what I've found out, watching,
watching, the whole downtown area. They seem to know people's rhythms
(particularly that of the neighborhood's sore thumb, like me, but
what fundamentally bridges both ways of being is living in a
full-throated way in spite of being separated from a presumed
baseline like eyesight or a 4-walled structure in which to collect
material or reliable shelter. House-less people, in fact, additional
to designated state and private shelters, many of my friends are used
to living out of their backpacks  and can set up camp anywhere.
This story in particular spoke to the faculties from which I am
compeled to reacquaint myself after becoming brain damaged 13 years ago.

When your experience plays out along side those of house-less people,
you must be ready and, in most cases willing to adapt to obscure
situations consistant with living hand to mouth. This, of course, is
not to say house-lessness is an undesirable way to live. Generally
speaking, it's not. I am in a relationship with a resident and have
known him in terms that are familiar to him and now are familiar to
me.  Most residents live in a completely self-contained way,
sometimes taking on projects to fill some of that plentiful,
unaccounted time independent of human services. This means that many
people are mentally undiagnosed and therefore untreated. They don't
need meds and they don't need diagnosis.
Car from Berkeley

My sister listened without comment.  She'd taught me to put