[humanser] STUDY QUESTIONS

Cheryl Wade wadecher at msu.edu
Wed Dec 20 22:56:33 UTC 2017

Thanks for this! I never liked "disabled" but actually preferred
"handicapped" because it meant we had a burden -- like in bowling -- but
we still were very good. I learned that "handicapped" was derived from
"cap in hand" centuries ago, and that's why it's the incorrect word. It
meant these people were begging for money. Oh, OK!

Although my mom always said "my daughter happens to be blind" I am very
comfortable being a "blind person" at this point in my life. I once told
someone I was "visually impaired" and he said, "No, you're not. You're
blind." Uh-oh, stinging but in some ways a fine rebuke.

Cheryl Wade, MA, LLPC, CRC