[humanser] Why did you choose your particular Human services profession?

Lia Stone evangeliastone at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 20:48:57 UTC 2017

Hi Jonathan,

I think my reasons for going into the field are a bit complicated, but then
again, who's aren't?

I have my MSW, and specialized in a program  that really only existed at my
university, Violence Against Women and Children. I love domestic violence
and sexual assault counseling, and I particularly wanted to work with
disabled folks who have abuse/trauma histories.  I grew up in a domestic
violence household, and have experienced sexual assault in my past.  That is
not too uncommon for people in this particular field, but I think what made
it so important for me was realizing how few competent services were
available for disabled survivors.  DV/SA agencies rarely know what to do
with disabled client, and VR agencies don't even acknowledge  that a
significant number of their consumers have trauma histories or are actively
experiencing abuse.  I worked at New Jersey's training center and saw a lot
of unprocessed trauma hindering rehabilitation, and I did my clinical year
work at a DV/SA agency where they had begun an initiative to better serve
Deaf clients, but that was it.

I really want to continue my work in a way that  forces both a cultural and
policy change at DV/SA agencies as well as VR agencies. The stats are high
enough that we can assume many disabled individuals have/are experiencing
abuse,  but both levels of organization need to be better able to adapt to
one another. I plan to eventually continue on to a PhD in social work so I
can continue research into this, but for now I'm just trying to get more
involved on the clinical side in a DV or SA specific agency.

Lia