[humanser] Working with Potentially Dangerous Populations and Assuaging Sighted People's Fears

Sarah Meyer sarah.meyer55 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 16:36:05 UTC 2018

Hello everyone,
I am in Practicum right now and applying for various group counseling
opportunities. I have already been accepted as a co-facilitator for a
Wellness Group which is part psychoeducation and part
process/experiential for members living at an assisted living
facility. I was recently rejected for a co-facilitator position for a
Grief and Loss psychoeducational group for a men's correctional
facility though. I was simply told that they had decided to go with
other applicants. I suspected that I may have been turned down due to
blindness, but also didn't want to jump to conclusions, so I emailed
the group supervisors and asked if they could provide me with feedback
about how I could improve my application for future opportunities, if
they could tell me what they were looking for in applicants, etc.

Well, one of the group leaders told me they would be willing to meet,
so we met this morning. He was friendly and honest, and he told me
that he and the other supervisor had made some assumptions without
talking to me and should have involved me in their discussions before
turning me away. He said that some of there concerns had to do with
safety because the inmates at the prison might become rowdy, and while
there's technically supposed to be a guard posted, that usually
doesn't happen. I told him that I appreciated his concern for my
safety, but my safety is my responsibility just as much as it is any
other therapist's responsibility. I also expressed that I would hope
that they would have the same level of concern for all therapists as
they would for me and no different.

Another concern they had was regarding accommodations provided by the
prison, but they hadn't asked me what accommodations I would even
need, so I explained that if there were any orientation materials, I
would work with the prison to make sure the materials would be made
accessible, and again, it would be partially my responsibility, and
the prison wouldn't be able to give an accurate response without my
making an informed request.

The supervisor said he is now open to my participating as a
co-facilitator, but I will need to meet with the faculty supervisor
for the final approval, since it would be his license under which I
would be operating. So before I meet with that person, I was hoping to
find out if any of you have worked with violent offendors in the past
or at least know enough about the law so I can come informed to this
next meeting with reasons for why I should be given just as much a
chance as any other therapist.

What I said in this last meeting was that I'm an adult, and when I
sign consent forms, I'm aware of the potential for risks I'm taking
when I go in to a setting, just as much as any other therapist. This
supervisor was very appreciative and admitted that he had been biased
and trying to think for me, and he apologized and appreciated my
willingness to meet with him. All in all, I'd say this has been a
positive experience. Even if it doesn't work out for me to help with
this group because of scheduling purposes, at least I will have
educated some folks about not making faulty assumptions about blind
clinicians.

All the best,

Sarah

--
Sarah K. Meyer
Graduate Student, Clinical Mental Health Counseling/Social Psychology
sarah.meyer55 at gmail.com
(317)402-6632

characteristic that defines you or your future. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back. Together with love,
hope, and determination, we transform dreams into reality.