[humanser] exploring a career field

JD Townsend 43210 at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 22 03:29:16 UTC 2018

Hello:

When I see a need in the agency or community; feel that group treatment is valuable through a literature review;  decide on my availability and ability with the population, I decide on the membership.  Ages, sexes, and a provisional name.

Then I:
	Canvas the community for interest, especially fellow psychotherapists for referrals, and
	Get an okay from my manager.

As with all groups I enter every session with 2 or 3 plans, then follow the group to where they are.  Often my plan A never is gotten to.

Specifically with my new group for teens in the autism spectrum the plan for the initial session is to introduce the group to the prospective members.  I expect little interaction between members due to their common communication styles.  But, I will urge each one to give their first name and something about themselves, an age or anything that will give them an initial voice.  The initial sessions will have a psycho-educational part followed by some discussion.  Later we will probably add weekly homework assignments.

I like for groups to name themselves.

Hope this is what you were looking for, Michael.

JD Townsend, LCSW
Helping the light dependent to see.