[humanser] Letting them know you're blind

Karen Rose rosekm at earthlink.net
Wed May 2 04:29:12 UTC 2018

I certainly agree that being forced to disclose to a new client that I am blind before seeing that client is exactly equivalent to being forced to disclose my race or ethnic city or religion or orientation. This is simply not necessary. If a client is in fact uncomfortable when they see that I am blind, this could actually prove useful in therapy. Although I do not do this now, as an intern I would generally wait until the end of the second or third session and then ask a client how they felt about working with someone who was not looking at them. I remember having one client respond – you must really have to trust people a lot. And – this was the subject of therapy for the next year!

Sent from my iPhone