[humanser] Letting them know you're blind

Miranda knownoflove at gmail.com
Wed May 2 03:55:39 UTC 2018

Hi,
I just want to say how much I appreciate this topic. I myself have considered coming to the list this very question. As a social work student, I have been heavily encouraged by a professor in a groups course to consider disclosing my blindness to future clients. I have also been encouraged to disclose to agency personnel prior to field placement interviews. As these topics are related, I appreciate reading the responses thus far.
I’m not sure how I feel about disclosing to clients just yet. I appreciate the perspective given, as it has been pointed out that one would not generally disclose race/ethnicity, other disability or mobility aid being used, etc. I really don’t understand why cited individuals feel like blindness is any different. I do see how context would play a part in the decision of whether or not to disclose. I think I may have read an article recently about choosing to disclose personal information based on if it would benefit the client. If I can find it, I will certainly send the link as it may be beneficial to the list membership as a whole. Upon further reflection, I wonder if the comfort level or lack there of of the supervisor (or professor in my case) is truly being exposed with such a recommendation. I feel that if we are to treat our clients with dignity and respect and allow them self-determination, we too should be afforded the same rights, without feeling our decisions are being so heavily influenced by the perceptions or opinions of cited superiors.
thank you again for starting this discussion, and have a wonderful week!

Best wishes, Miranda

Sent from my iPhone