[HumanSer] Initial Introduction to the group

Ericka Nelson erickanelson88 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 20:53:58 UTC 2019

Thanks for your gracious offer James. I’ve seen your post here before. I did not realize that you were gone back to school. Your story is quite interesting!

I’ve been legally blind all my life and for the better or worse I grew up in the 70s and was one of the first generation to go to public school K through 12 with a disability. It’s been quite a long journey to figure out how to do things as things have changed in the world of technology, education, and just plain growing up when you are low vision you aren’t prepared by anyone most of the time for what the rest of the journey will require. My vision changed throughout the years and the need for computer skills have changed my focus on life. I finally got the blind of skills training late in life but I think I’m finally ready to get back into the picture. I’ve got a special education nine certification degree and a social work BSW. I’ve done a lot of volunteer work in various Fields relating to my degrees. I did work as an activity assistant in a nursing home for several years part time. Looking back I can see how every experience I’ve had has sent me to the conclusion of medical or hospice work, but I wish I had figured this out sooner! We’re back as I can remember when my grandma passed away at even at age 9 I was not afraid of death. Somebody should’ve said something to me about how this was a gift. Live and learn right?

If any of you know even sighted people who are doing these careers I’d love to talk to anyone who is in medical social work or hospice.

Thank you all!.

Ericka J. Nelson
1750 Fordem Ave. #508
Madison WI 53704