[HumanSer] Question about Boosting Resume and Preparedness for Entering the Job Market as a New Therapist

Sarah Meyer sarah.meyer55 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 04:23:09 UTC 2019

My apologies, my cat stepped on the laptop keyboard and pressed "send"
before I was ready. :)

As I was saying in my last email, I am in my final semester of my MA
in clinical mental health counseling program, and I have a question
about licensure and boosting one's resume.

I have completed the 240 direct service hours requirement for CACREP
and that my Master's program requires as a minimum for the MA
internship. I'm well over the 600 clock hours requirement. I live in
Indiana, and in Indiana, the state licensure for LMHC (licensed Mental
Health Counselors) used to require 360 direct service (900 clock hours
total) for the Master's internship experience. The law changed last
summer, and my understanding is that there are only a few states left
in the US that require counselors to do the 360, 900 hours breakdown
in order to become licensed. With all that said, I have a placement
this fall and am trying to decide if I should work for the additional
120 direct service hours or not, even though it is not required for
licensure in Indiana at this time.

I am thankful I have a second placement as it will help me feel more
prepared for the job market. What I am wondering is if people think
that employers will care when I'm applying about how many direct
service hours I've completed for my Master's internship, especially if
I will be able to achieve the LMHC license regardless at this point.
Granted, having the 360 total direct service hours would make it
likely that I could transfer my license to a state that does still
require that many hours for licensure, but I do not have immediate
plans to look for jobs out of state.

I am curious what people's thoughts are, as this decision will impact
how busy I keep myself with clients this semester. Either way, I feel
good about the fact that I will be adding variety to my resume through
the clinical experiences I will have this semester.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Thank you,

Sarah

sarah.meyer55 at gmail.com