[humanser] Good evening.Re: Questions about Use of Aira in Counseling Work, Disclosures about Blindness, Readers, etc.

Miranda knownoflove at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 01:11:09 UTC 2019

I completely agree with all that you have said here. I am sorry if I indicated that I would never discuss this with clients or that I would never bring up my blindness at all. I to believe that it depends on what is best for the client and our working relationship. I too have found that conversations surrounding my blindness have opened other avenues of communication between myself and clients. It also tends to break down any barriers that might otherwise be present. As you have noted, Conversations about diversity definitely open the lines of communication. I have also found that being comfortable with my own disability has helped clients to be more at ease with whatever they are facing at that moment. For my junior field placement last semester, one thing that I did was to assist with diversity trainings for volunteers coming into the agency. I took this time to allow questions to be asked of me regarding my blindness in a safe space, both for me and the volunteers present. My internship last semester was in a domestic violence shelter for women and children. This semester, I am helping to plan programs for parents and caregivers in and after school child care setting. I receive questions about my blindness and my dog guide from the students in the afterschool program, and I have needed to gently remind other staff that it is OK for the students to ask questions without interference.
Thanks again for sharing your insight and experience. Congratulations on your upcoming graduation! I definitely understand the emotions associated with this time of transition.

Sent from my iPhone