[humanser] Good evening.Re: Questions about Use of Aira inCounseling Work, Disclosures about Blindness, Readers, etc.

Sarah Meyer sarah.meyer55 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 01:18:06 UTC 2019

JD,

Thank you for your feedback. That sounds wonderful to have access to a
volunteer reader and to be able to read all of your documentation as
needed! Unfortunately, I have not been so lucky. My internship for my
Master's in Clinical Mental Health program is at the Ball State
University Counseling Center, and it took months to get clearance for
just hiring part-time readers who also work as interns within the
center. I completely understand that they would not want to hire
outside of the center because of confidentiality, and still this was
one of many battles I bore the burden of. The Office for Disability
Services is paying my readers, so it is not the counseling center who
is paying, but still, since these assistants are both reading and
converting information into more accessible formats based on highly
confidential information, the Center required that I find people from
within house.

Further, we use a database, not printed paper. The database is not
accessible, certainly not time-effective, when it comes to being able
to read all the information with JAWS. Not only do we have triage
intake notes, paperwork from other agencies/offices that have been
scanned, and prior histories to read, but all our clients complete
assessments every 4 sessions to compare their symptomology across
various domains. The results are shown in graphs. Additionally,
clients who are experiencing any kind of suicidality fill out
assessments every time and we must be able to compare scores right
before picking them up so we can discuss in session. I do not have
access to a reader on the spot, and my phone cannot scan these
measures. My work-around when I haven't had the data is to just ask
the client, but there are times that the data do not match the verbal
assessment and I truly can see the need and value to incorporate both
into the work. The reality is that technology is ever-changing, and
this field is changing with it. I agree that this is a wonderful field
and that the NFB philosophy works well with a strengths based
approach, *and* we who are just starting out need guidance to work
competently within a highly technical era while serving our clients
and while recognizing the barriers that can present themselves.
Technology is being used in so many ways now in assessment, in the
course of treatment, etc.

Best wishes,

Sarah

--
Sarah K. Meyer
Graduate Student, Clinical Mental Health Counseling
sarah.meyer55 at gmail.com
(317)402-6632

characteristic that defines you or your future. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back. Together with love,
hope, and determination, we transform dreams into reality.