[HumanSer] Taking time off from work

Karen Rose rosekm at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 16 00:04:45 UTC 2019

For what it is worth, I do both career counseling and psychotherapy. In my career counseling practice, I find that, at least here in Northern California, the question of reasons for not having been working often does not even come up. Back in the day, when someone was not working it meant that that person was probably either in jail, riding the freight train, or completely incapacitated. Now however, there are so many reasons for people not being in the workforce for a period of time. One might be caring for children, caring for an elderly family member, off traveling, or one’s company might have gone I. P. Oh. And one might be a millionaire right now. :-) My millennials often talk about something they call for employment. This means being laid off from one company with some kind of severance package and using their time on unemployment insurance to go traveling and having fun. :-) I would not be concerned about your time away from work. Karen

Karen Rose MFT/LPCC www.career-therapy.net