[HumanSer] Experience with working in residential treatment

Sarah Meyer sarah.meyer55 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 21:10:27 UTC 2020

JD,
Thanks so much for your email. It gave me some great ideas and the
encouragement I needed for my interview. It was really helpful to be
able to say, I know that there are blind therapists who have
successfully worked in this type of setting/population. I have a
sinking feeling though because she highlighted the need for all staff
to be able to use all five senses to observe body language at all
times and to see if someone is coming at them with a shank, for
example. She also said that it is a job requirement to be able to
drive clients in case of an emergency and needing to evacuate. I
offered to provide the EEOC guidance on this and she seemed open to
it. I'm just discouraged and concerned they will not want to hire me
because I disclosed I am blind in this second interview.

Sarah

--
Sarah K. Meyer
Graduate Student, Clinical Mental Health Counseling
sarah.meyer55 at gmail.com
(317)402-6632

characteristic that defines you or your future. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back. Together with love,
hope, and determination, we transform dreams into reality.