[HumanSer] Experience with working in residential treatment

43210 at Bellsouth.net 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 2 16:28:33 UTC 2020

Excellent, go for that second interview.

I have worked in residential facilities and in an adolescent psychiatric
hospital.

The things your facility is most looking for might well be comfort in being
part of a treatment team, in providing group therapy, and in forming
relationships with teens.

I have taken many, many classes in restraint training, but have never been a
physical restrainer myself.  Rather I use verbal de-escalation.  No client
ever attacked me.  In situations where restraint was needed, I took the job
of traffic control, clearing clients from the area, standing at a exit to
block elopement, or carrying messages to other team members.

As to blindness.  Your clients will be interested in blindness, you will
most often be their first experience.  Expect questions like, "Who dresses
you?"  I used my blindness to ask assistance from upset kids, a positive
chore can calm a teen who is expecting staff punishment, I would ask if I
might follow their elbow to get somewhere, moving them from the scene of
distress.  I had groups work together as one at a time walked, blindfolded
with my white cane or with my dog guide.  This is a confidence and trust
exercise.    Staff found that some kids, such as trafficked and sexually
abused kids may feel more comfortable opening up when their therapist could
not look at them.  The body shame is easier to handle when their bodies are
not exposed.

You will be great at showing kids what a positive attitude can do and how
the NFB philosophy can apply to other circumstances.

JD