[HumanSer] Membership and division meeting registration

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 4 19:48:11 UTC 2020

Hello Jessica and all,

Happy Independence Day!
As we all celebrate safely at home, I hope that America and everyone creates some new milestones. It would be wonderful if the ideals of our founding fathers such as equality and liberty are expanded to blind and other disabled people. I say this because we celebrate liberty and freedom today but if you want a job in the human service field, this  is not easily accomplished due to the requirement of driving or using an inaccessible software. I was trying to be an assistant at a summer camp one year and they told me that driving was a requirement and when I explained I cannot due to a disability, they said I was not eligible for the job because a requirement was to drive the van for field trips. I was not totally dismissed though. They said I could apply later when  driving was not an essential function, but still, this left a bad taste for me and I felt my other qualities were being missed since I had no chance to work with kids at the summer program. Well, there are other programs around here without that requirement so maybe next year when corona virus is not here I can do that job.
I suppose I’m saying I love being an American, but we have a long way to walk to achieve liberty, equality, and justice for all  here. I hope NFB is still advocating for electronic access to medical records systems.

Thanks for the info about the division meeting.
So, are you saying you have to register for the meeting? If so, how far in advance is that needed?
Will you all be able to take questions from the audience even though its virtual? If so, I am guessing you will use the raise hand feature of zoom.

Again, thanks for this info and I look forward to seeing your agenda. I also hope other divisions post agendas in advance because I notice some meetings conflict with one another and I’d like to make an informed decision if I go to some.

Take care,
Ashley