[HumanSer] Social work license endorsement and accrued supervised hours?

Miranda B. knownoflove at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 13:17:50 UTC 2020

Hi Everyone,
First, many thanks for a wonderful division seminar this past
Thursday! The discussion on self-care was especially pertinent.
I wanted to reach out with a question regarding social work license
endorsement and accrued supervision hours. Seeing as I'm almost
halfway through my MSW and will obtain my LMSW in my current state of
Virginia, I'm mainly concerned about the possibility of relocation
prior to or after receiving my LCSW. As I research possible states for
relocation and related licensure requirements, I'm wondering if
license endorsement recognizes supervision hours for LCSW if not
equivalent between states? For instance, if I receive my LCSW in
Virginia wherein the required supervised hours equal 3000 in 2-4 years
with 1,380 being direct practice, and later decide to relocate to a
state wherein the required supervised hours are greater than
Virginia's 3,000-hour requirement, am I required to reapply for LCSW
supervision in the new state and fulfill the missing hours? Or, do the
state boards of social work recognize the LCSW (or equivalent) among
states regardless of the amount of supervision hours?
If hours are not recognized equally among states, then my plan would
be to obtain my LMSW in Virginia and consider any relocation to a
state requiring greater supervision hours prior to pursuing my LCSW.
Thanks as always for your time and assistance, and have a wonderful week!

Best, Miranda