[HumanSer] Is anyone using EPIC as their EMR?

Ronit Ovadia Mazzoni rovadia82 at gmail.com
Fri May 10 18:08:45 UTC 2024

Hi all, sorry I'm late to this discussion. I am using epic as my EMR. I
work as a genetic counselor at Stanford Childrens Hospital in the fertility
department. I have used epic over many years and over time, it has actually
gotten better. That's not to say it's easy, but that it's gotten better.
Most of the screens are treated as a webpage which helps JAWS read it. I do
not have any vision at all and I use JAWS for everything. Every hospital
sets up their epic build slightly differently but there are many things in
common. The good thing about epic is that there is not just one way to
accomplish a task. Often times I do extra keystrokes or access a feature
differently from sighted folks but I still get the job done. I document in
charts, review charts, put in orders, etc. It's hard to give specific tips
but I'd be happy to talk by phone to anyone interested in learning more. I
did use JAWS  scripting at the very beginning but have not used that in
several years. It is helpful to have a sighted person who knows your
specific build sit with you to help you learn where things are on the
screen or buttons that you need to find. At the beginning, using the find
command can really help especially when screens are very busy and
cluttered. There are also changes you can make to hide certain parts of the
screen that you don't need.

Hope this helps.
Ronit