[Iabs-talk] Vendors Bill - A plea for help

Patti Gregory-Chang pattichang at att.net
Sat Mar 7 14:02:43 UTC 2009

I just received the following:

From: John Gordon, Chairman Illinois Committee of Blind Vendors

I am pleading for 10 minutes of your valuable time. As part of the Business
Enterprise Program for the Blind, I have been the Chairman of our elected
committee for approximately the last 12 years. My committee and I share a
passion in providing substantial self employment opportunities for blind men
and women in Illinois. Blind individuals are plagued with an unemployment of
approximately 75%. You can make a difference in changing that by sharing
this with your friends, family, and collegues. In 1936 Senator Jennings
Randolph and Senator Morris Sheppard created the Randolph-Sheppard Act. This
allowed blind men and women absolute priority to operate consessions on
Federal property. 73 years later, it is the most successful employment
oppertunity for blind individuals in the nation. In Illinois many years ago,
we adopted a similar law which has aplication on state property. Although
for many years this law was never challenged that changed
 drastically in the past 10 years. Senator Michael Jacobs has recently
introduced Senat Bill 2045 and State Representative Michael McAuliff
introduced it as House Bill 4230. This new legislation would mirror the
Federal Randolph-Sheppard Act and create new oppertunities for blind people
for many years to come. I am asking that you contact your state senator and
ask for their support on Senate Bill 2045. I am also requesting that you
contact your State Representative and ask for their support on House Bill
4230. In order to find out who is your State senator and who your State
Representative go to link attached to below and type in your address. If you
want you can also dial the State directory at 217-782-2000 and they could
possibly assist you. We have very little time as these Bills are already
schedualed for hearings on Wednesday March 11, 2009.
Please ask your legislators to return your call with their position. Please
feel free to share this information with your contact list. Remember I am
depending you to help make a difference, thank you in advance.

http://www.elections.il.gov/DistrictLocator/SelectSearchType.aspx?NavLink=1