[Iabs-talk] FW: the PACE swipe card issue

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 13 12:55:21 UTC 2009

  _____

From: sharon howerton [mailto:shrnhow at att.net]
Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2009 8:21 AM
To: David Meyer
Subject: the PACE swipe card issue

David, I sent the following to the Guild Tech Exchange list. If you feel it
is appropriate for IL Talk or anywhere else, you are welcome to post it.
Sharon

There has been some discussion about this here so I wanted to mention
briefly. I have not used the card as yet. Both Bill Jurek and I are among a
group of guide dog handlers who teach classes at Harold Washington College
for cab drivers in training discussing guide dog etiquette and how drivers
should work with blind and visually impaired customers. Bill has had
numerous problems with the new PACE card and has contacted both Harold
Washington College which trains new drivers as well as the City of Chicago
Consumer Services Department. He finally received a call from the city
consumer services department and was told that any time a cab driver refuses

to accept the PACE card, you need to call 311 to file a complaint. You need
the cab number, date and time of the incident. If the driver says he does
not have the equipment needed to swipe the card, do the same thing. Call 311

with a formal complaint giving cab number, date and time of incident. I
asked Bill if you need the company as well. He thought the city would know
based on the cab number, but I'd say get the cab company as well. You may
have seen the program CBS 2 did about the reluctance of cab drivers to
accept credit cards; this is a further example of the same kind of thing.
It's all about accountability so let's make the cab drivers and PACE (or
whoever came up with this bright paperless idea in the first place)
accountable.
Sharon