[Iabs-talk] Host Family for Blind Exchange Student

Patti Gregory-Chang pattichang at att.net
Wed May 25 00:53:36 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jessica Garcia" <mrsjessicagarcia at yahoo.com>
To: "Patti Gregory" <pattichang at att.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 1:38 PM
Subject: Re: Host Family for Blind Exchange Student

The following could be used for an email or newsletter submission. You will
notice that it mentions both the deaf and blind communities and that is
because we are also looking to place a deaf student this year. If you would
like to tailor it to just the blind community, please feel free to adjust
the sentence.
Thank you again for you assistance. I'm really looking forward to working
with all of my students and their families this year.Jessica
American Councils is looking for host families for high school exchange
students for the upcoming school year. Our students are winners of various
U.S. State Department merit scholarships. As part of the competitive process
to be selected, students undergo assessment of their English-language
ability, motivation in wanting to spend a year abroad, and ability to adapt
to a foreign culture. Students with disabilities are encouraged to apply for
these scholarships. Disability communities in many foreign countries are
very different from the US. Thus, we are looking for host families that are
tied into the U.S. deaf and blind communities to help the year abroad be an
empowering experience for our students. These experiences are something that
they can “take home” with them as alumni.
Anyone can host! Host families are volunteers and provide the student with a
bed of their own (they may share a room), three meals a day and a place to
study (table or desk). Students receive a monthly stipend, health insurance
and funds for enrichment and school related expenses. They excel
academically, perform community service, make cultural presentations and
learn about the components of a civil society. They return home prepared to
lead their country's next generation.
If you would like more information about hosting, please contact Jessica
Garcia at 708-799-5886 or mrsjessicagarcia at yahoo.com.