[Iabs-talk] At Large Minutes For September

Leslie Hamric lhamric930 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 5 23:39:55 UTC 2014

At Large Chapter Minutes

September 3, 2014

Those present included:  Linda Hendle, Christopher Watkins, Leslie Hamric,  Bill Reif, Dave Meyer, Patti Chang, Gina Falvo , Bob Hansen,  Danny Mandrell, Cid Winer, Debbie Stein, Charlene Elder, Dan Tevelde, Forest Park, Chris Milsap, also from Forest Park, Denise Avant and Jemal Powell.  There were sixteen people present.

During the August meeting Leslie took the Minutes and also read them.  They were sent as an Email to the members on il-talk.  Corrections were made to the June minutes.  Bags and cards were sold by NFBI. Hats were sold by the students.  The correction was made.  The price of Oktoberfest tickets was $25.00 instead of $20.00.  The minutes were accepted with the above corrections.  Charlene Elder moved for approval of the minutes and Bill Reif seconded the motion. The Minutes were approved.

The meeting was called to order at 7:30 PM.

Dave Meyer got the Presidential Release by telephone.  This was Release 431.  President Riccobono said that Hart Zachariah Elder was born to Timand Shannon Elder.  Tim is the President of the San Fransisco Chapter.  Catherine Dillon West was born to Meghan Sidu.  Meghan is a General Council Attorney for NFB.

Marc mentioned the seventy-five days of action.  Our hope is to build 75 new chapters or to strengthen 75 chapters.

A protest was held in front of Source America, the largest provider of subminimum wages in America.  They are located in Virginia.  Rose Sloan talked about Source America, formerly National Industries for the Severely Handicapped.  They distribute contracts to non-profits.  Source America is lobbying to keep Section 14C.  Over 100 people made over $100,000.00 each at Source America.  There are 96 co-sponsors for HR.831.  Rose Sloan’s email is rsloan at nfb.org.

The 2015 Bell Program application is now available online at www.nfb.org/bell.  We can do better than 23 programs within 50 states.  Contact nshaheen at nfb.orgor call (410) 659-9314 Ext. 2293.

Crystal Guillory wants people to know that the books from the Braille Book Fair at convention are now on their way.

Joe Ruffalo says that on 9-17-2014 at 8:00 PM. Eastern time, Scott White will be interviewed regarding Newsline, including Version 2.0.  Call 1-347-2157037.  Thruoureyes.org is the online address.

We heard about the launch of the KNFB Mobile Reader app for the IPhone.  It is extremely fast.  The app will be available in the Apple store at the same time IOS 8 becomes available, September 10.

We are working on the Teach Act.  Lauren McClarney said that the American Council Of Education wrote a letter to Senator Harkin objecting to the Teach Act.  These questions in the letter should be challenged.  Congressman Shaw has tried to get a meeting with this organization without success.  Contact your senators and representatives in support of the Teach Act.

Robert Hansen gave a demonstration of a program he presented in which he interviewed Rose Sloan.

Patti says that there are now 97 Co-Sponsors on HR. 831. We need to contact legislators for both the Teach Act and HR.831.

Patti gave the State Report.  She invited people to the Oktoberfest on September 20.  There are already 45 people who have agreed to participate.   Contact her at (773) 307-6420.

The Convention is coming together.  There will be presentations by Hadley, Braille Is Beautiful, a Legislative Forum, and others which are not confirmed.  The dates are October 31-November 2, 2014.  Denise asked people to assist with procuring door prizes.  Monetary donations can be from individuals or chapters.  Denise  talked about Amazon.com/smile where one can pick NFBI. As their  charitable group of choice.  I think it is 0.5 per cent contribution.  We have an IPad raffle.  The tickets are $5.00 apiece.  The raffle is open until January 5, 2015.   Checks should be sent to Glenn Moore for raffle tickets for the IPad.  We are still doing shopping certificates.  We will be taking orders until December 6, 2014.  The new certificate list will be on Newsline and nfbofillinois.org website.

At Large Chapter will host a dinner with a $10.00 admission fee.  This will occur on Friday evening at Convention.

We discussed  IABS Idol and we were asked what songs we could sing.  The decision will be made at the October meeting.

Dave Meyer moved to adjourn the meeting and Robert Hansen seconded it;  the motion carried.  The meeting was concluded at 8:34 PM.  Our next meeting will be on October  5 at 7:00 PM.  Phone:  (805) 360-1000 code 6324 (nfbi.)

Respectfully Submitted,

Charlene Elder,

Secretary-Treasurer